A Centre for History and Culture
Since its foundation in 1997, the Ottoman Bank Archives and Research Centre has endeavored to bring its work to the wider public, both academic and lay, through various activities.
Lectures, Seminars, Symposiums
• The Voyvoda Street Lectures
• Symposiums on Istanbul
• Enlightenment Symposiums
• Library Week Events
• The Making of Modern Turkey Seminars
• Both Shores of the Aegean Seminars
• Voyvoda Street from Ottoman Times to Today
• Paper Money from the Ottoman Period to the Present
• Glimpses from the Past in the Ottoman Bank Archives
• Plenty of Fantasy No Money Caricatures of an Economy in Debt (1874 – 1954)
• Pride and Privilege
• Galata through the Ages
• Death in Istanbul: Death and Its Rituals in Ottoman-Islamic Culture
• The person you have called cannot be reached at the moment...
• A Floating Exhibit of Turkey and Projecting the Nation
• Turgut Cansever: Architect and Thinker
• Consuming the Orient
• Sedad Hakki Eldem (1908-1988) I Early Years
• Prelude to the 1908 Revolution:
The Ottomans in Paris
• What Hurts the Purse, Hurts the Soul Insurance in the Ottoman Empire With Documents from the Collection
• Sedad Hakki Eldem II, Retrospective
• OBMs Consuming the Orient exhibition on view in Paris...
Prize Competition for Research on the History of Banking and Finance
In order to encourage academic research in the field of Turkish banking and financial history, the Centre has held a prize competition in collaboration with the European Association for Banking History and the History Foundation, (Tarih Vakfi), since 2000.
Click here for past competitions.
Prize Competition 2002
Prize Competition 2004
Prize Competition 2006
All prize-winning papers in the separate categories are published by the Centre.
Publications of the Prize Competition
• Symposium in Moscow!
"A Historical Perspective of Turco-Russian Relations"
• Panel on the examination of the book, Ottoman Finance: Institutions and Budgets
• Melcom conference...
• Commemorating Stefanos Yerasimos at the Ottoman Bank Museum
• World-Leading Economic Historians at the Ottoman Bank Museum: 6 th European Historical Economics Society Conference
• The Activities of the Ottoman Bank Museum for the Commemoration of the Camondo Family
• Modernism, City, and Empire
• Workshop: Archives and IT Solutions
• Colloquium: East Meets West: Banking, Commerce and Investment